What is involved in Solution Architecture
Find out what the related areas are that Solution Architecture connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Solution Architecture thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Solution Architecture journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Solution Architecture leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Solution Architecture related domains to cover and 46 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Solution Architecture, Application architecture, Architectural pattern, Business architecture, Enterprise architecture, Federation of Enterprise Architecture Professional Organizations, Forrester Research, Gartner, Segment architecture, Solutions architect, The Open Group:
Solution Architecture Critical Criteria:
Focus on Solution Architecture results and oversee Solution Architecture management by competencies.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Solution Architecture is underway?
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Solution Architecture?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Solution Architecture forward?
Application architecture Critical Criteria:
Dissect Application architecture adoptions and separate what are the business goals Application architecture is aiming to achieve.
– How can you create a cross application architecture that supports your current systems, while at the same time accommodating changing business needs?
– Application Architecture Considerations. Is the application web-based, or built with a serviceoriented architecture (SOA)?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Solution Architecture?
– How do we Lead with Solution Architecture in Mind?
Architectural pattern Critical Criteria:
Unify Architectural pattern quality and cater for concise Architectural pattern education.
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Solution Architecture requirements in detail?
– How important is Solution Architecture to the user organizations mission?
– Who sets the Solution Architecture standards?
Business architecture Critical Criteria:
Analyze Business architecture failures and intervene in Business architecture processes and leadership.
– In the case of a Solution Architecture project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Solution Architecture project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Solution Architecture project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– Will Solution Architecture have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– Who needs to know about Solution Architecture ?
Enterprise architecture Critical Criteria:
Face Enterprise architecture strategies and look in other fields.
– With the increasing adoption of cloud computing do you think enterprise architecture as a discipline will become more or less important to us and why?
– Enterprise architecture planning. how does it align with to the to be architecture?
– How does the standard fit into the Federal Enterprise Architecture (FEA)?
– Are Enterprise JavaBeans still relevant for enterprise architectures?
– Are software assets aligned with the agency enterprise architecture?
– Are accountability and ownership for Solution Architecture clearly defined?
– Are software assets aligned with the organizations enterprise architecture?
– Are the levels and focus right for TOGAF enterprise architecture?
– What are the usability implications of Solution Architecture actions?
– Is There a Role for Patterns in Enterprise Architecture?
– What is the value of mature Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Should we Consider Enterprise Architecture?
– What is an Enterprise Architecture?
– What Is Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Enterprise Architecture?
Federation of Enterprise Architecture Professional Organizations Critical Criteria:
Accelerate Federation of Enterprise Architecture Professional Organizations failures and learn.
– Think about the people you identified for your Solution Architecture project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– What are internal and external Solution Architecture relations?
Forrester Research Critical Criteria:
Start Forrester Research issues and finalize the present value of growth of Forrester Research.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Solution Architecture workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– Will Solution Architecture deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– What are the business goals Solution Architecture is aiming to achieve?
Gartner Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Gartner leadership and forecast involvement of future Gartner projects in development.
– How would one define Solution Architecture leadership?
Segment architecture Critical Criteria:
Track Segment architecture tasks and create Segment architecture explanations for all managers.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Solution Architecture in a volatile global economy?
– Is Solution Architecture Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
– What are the short and long-term Solution Architecture goals?
Solutions architect Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Solutions architect engagements and correct Solutions architect management by competencies.
– Which customers cant participate in our Solution Architecture domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– What is the total cost related to deploying Solution Architecture, including any consulting or professional services?
– What is the purpose of Solution Architecture in relation to the mission?
The Open Group Critical Criteria:
Test The Open Group visions and interpret which customers can’t participate in The Open Group because they lack skills.
– What are the Key enablers to make this Solution Architecture move?
– What is Effective Solution Architecture?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Solution Architecture Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Solution Architecture External links:
Binary Thinktank – Solution Architecture
Work | Solution Architecture | Provoke
Application architecture External links:
AWS | Application Architecture Center
Application Architecture – Gartner IT Glossary
application architecture – Martin Fowler
Architectural pattern External links:
Beauty and the Brick: Architectural Pattern Books
Architectural Pattern – Home | Facebook
Is MVC a Design Pattern or Architectural pattern
Business architecture External links:
What is Business Architecture? – The Open Group Blog
Business Architecture Guild
Business Architecture Center of Excellence
Enterprise architecture External links:
Enterprise Architecture Professional Journal
Enterprise Architecture Center of Excellence
Enterprise Architecture – CDT Services
Forrester Research External links:
Calabrio Named a Leader by Forrester Research, Inc.
Gartner External links:
Gartner Customer Service
Smartronix Gartner MQ Report
Working at Gartner
Segment architecture External links:
Federal Segment Architecture Methodology – George W. …
[PDF]Review of Unified Geospatial Segment Architecture …
Solutions architect External links:
Solutions Architect Jobs | Glassdoor
The Open Group External links:
The Open Group Architecture Framework – Official Site
The Open Group Shop | Home page
The Open Group Professional Certifications – Pearson VUE