What is involved in TOGAF
Find out what the related areas are that TOGAF connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a TOGAF thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its TOGAF journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward TOGAF leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which TOGAF related domains to cover and 115 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
TOGAF, The Open Group Architecture Framework, Applications architecture, Architecture domain, Architecture framework, Association of Enterprise Architects, Business architecture, Data architecture, Dow Jones Global Titans 50, Enterprise Architecture framework, Enterprise architecture, Fortune 500, IEEE 1471, Information architecture, Jaap Schekkerman, Library of Congress Control Number, Performance engineering, Service-oriented architecture, Technical Architecture Framework for Information Management, Technical architecture, The Open Group, US Department of Defense, United States Department of Defense, Virtual International Authority File:
TOGAF Critical Criteria:
Huddle over TOGAF outcomes and describe which business rules are needed as TOGAF interface.
– What are the data protection mechanisms to control access to data from external sources that temporarily have internal residence?
– What are the data model, data definitions, structure, and hosting options of purchased applications (COTS)?
– What shareable repository is used to capture the model content and the supporting information for data?
– What are we doing from process and systems perspectives to address the backlog issue?
– What are the processes that standardize the management and use of the data?
– What are the data quality requirements required by the business user?
– Are the levels and focus right for TOGAF enterprise architecture?
– What are the access requirements for decision support data?
– How is Lean Six Sigma different from TOGAF Architecture?
– How many people are in the development team?
– What is the desired benefit of TOGAF?
– What is an Enterprise Architecture?
– What is an Architecture Framework?
– What is an EA maturity model?
– What is the added value?
– What is an Architecture?
– What is an Enterprise?
– Who is involved?
– Why use TOGAF?
The Open Group Architecture Framework Critical Criteria:
Refer to The Open Group Architecture Framework engagements and spearhead techniques for implementing The Open Group Architecture Framework.
– Is Supporting TOGAF documentation required?
– Have all basic functions of TOGAF been defined?
Applications architecture Critical Criteria:
Reorganize Applications architecture issues and display thorough understanding of the Applications architecture process.
– What sources do you use to gather information for a TOGAF study?
– How do we manage TOGAF Knowledge Management (KM)?
Architecture domain Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct Architecture domain issues and correct Architecture domain management by competencies.
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with TOGAF ?
– Do we have past TOGAF Successes?
Architecture framework Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Architecture framework failures and get going.
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether TOGAF goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– How do we Identify specific TOGAF investment and emerging trends?
Association of Enterprise Architects Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on Association of Enterprise Architects management and innovate what needs to be done with Association of Enterprise Architects.
– Do we monitor the TOGAF decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– What are the Essentials of Internal TOGAF Management?
– How much does TOGAF help?
Business architecture Critical Criteria:
Substantiate Business architecture results and explore and align the progress in Business architecture.
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of TOGAF that make it risky?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of TOGAF moving forward?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the TOGAF requirements in detail?
Data architecture Critical Criteria:
Grade Data architecture failures and intervene in Data architecture processes and leadership.
– Can we describe the data architecture and relationship between key variables. for example, are data stored in a spreadsheet with one row for each person/entity, a relational database, or some other format?
– What are our best practices for minimizing TOGAF project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the TOGAF project lifecycle?
– Does your bi software work well with both centralized and decentralized data architectures and vendors?
– Do we need an enterprise data warehouse, a Data Lake, or both as part of our overall data architecture?
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing TOGAF? There might be some that are less obvious?
Dow Jones Global Titans 50 Critical Criteria:
Think carefully about Dow Jones Global Titans 50 decisions and gather practices for scaling Dow Jones Global Titans 50.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations TOGAF values?
Enterprise Architecture framework Critical Criteria:
Steer Enterprise Architecture framework tactics and report on developing an effective Enterprise Architecture framework strategy.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a TOGAF process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the TOGAF process available?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective TOGAF leader?
– How to Secure TOGAF?
Enterprise architecture Critical Criteria:
Face Enterprise architecture quality and get out your magnifying glass.
– With the increasing adoption of cloud computing do you think enterprise architecture as a discipline will become more or less important to us and why?
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding TOGAF?
– Enterprise architecture planning. how does it align with to the to be architecture?
– What are our needs in relation to TOGAF skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– How does the standard fit into the Federal Enterprise Architecture (FEA)?
– Are Enterprise JavaBeans still relevant for enterprise architectures?
– Are software assets aligned with the agency enterprise architecture?
– Are software assets aligned with the organizations enterprise architecture?
– What potential environmental factors impact the TOGAF effort?
– Is There a Role for Patterns in Enterprise Architecture?
– What is the value of mature Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Should we Consider Enterprise Architecture?
– What Is Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Enterprise Architecture?
Fortune 500 Critical Criteria:
Focus on Fortune 500 strategies and forecast involvement of future Fortune 500 projects in development.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your TOGAF project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– What are the disruptive TOGAF technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Think about the functions involved in your TOGAF project. what processes flow from these functions?
IEEE 1471 Critical Criteria:
See the value of IEEE 1471 projects and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling IEEE 1471 projects.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent TOGAF services/products?
Information architecture Critical Criteria:
Pay attention to Information architecture strategies and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Information architecture decisions.
– In the same way that you profile content against business goals or user needs, you can profile it according to brand alignment. Are you emphasizing content that works against your brand positioning?
– If the information architecture and design has been completed, are they reasonably uniform (mirroring the design examples provided)?
– Has the semantic interoperability been ensured through schema mapping or using established standards like NISO, DoD, Dublin Core?
– Has the reuse of information available elsewhere in the enterprise been considered to avoid redundancy?
– Are users employing different labels or looking for information that does not exist on your site?
– How can an information architecture be designed to successfully convey scent during navigation?
– The type of information being searched: Is it made up of structured fields or full text?
– Is there a requirement to perform a search across multiple data sources?
– Has a serious information architecture study been done for the site?
– Can we implement the navigation system using pull-down menus?
– What are the global requirements for the entire collection?
– Where should items be located in the hierarchy or network?
– Have the interoperability requirements been evaluated?
– Who are the people that will use your site?
– What is it that we are designing, and why?
– Can the content be divided into sections?
– Is there a plan for search analytics?
– Can any content be consolidated?
– How to measure Web usability?
– Who needs this content?
Jaap Schekkerman Critical Criteria:
Set goals for Jaap Schekkerman risks and interpret which customers can’t participate in Jaap Schekkerman because they lack skills.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about TOGAF. How do we gain traction?
– How can you negotiate TOGAF successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– How can the value of TOGAF be defined?
Library of Congress Control Number Critical Criteria:
See the value of Library of Congress Control Number issues and plan concise Library of Congress Control Number education.
– Can we add value to the current TOGAF decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
Performance engineering Critical Criteria:
Canvass Performance engineering planning and mentor Performance engineering customer orientation.
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving TOGAF forward?
Service-oriented architecture Critical Criteria:
Study Service-oriented architecture risks and devote time assessing Service-oriented architecture and its risk.
– How can skill-level changes improve TOGAF?
– What will drive TOGAF change?
– How do we go about Securing TOGAF?
Technical Architecture Framework for Information Management Critical Criteria:
Scan Technical Architecture Framework for Information Management results and research ways can we become the Technical Architecture Framework for Information Management company that would put us out of business.
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the TOGAF process?
– Does TOGAF analysis show the relationships among important TOGAF factors?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your TOGAF activities?
Technical architecture Critical Criteria:
Set goals for Technical architecture failures and devote time assessing Technical architecture and its risk.
– What are the Key enablers to make this TOGAF move?
– Does our organization need more TOGAF education?
– Who needs to know about TOGAF ?
The Open Group Critical Criteria:
Steer The Open Group visions and shift your focus.
– Meeting the challenge: are missed TOGAF opportunities costing us money?
US Department of Defense Critical Criteria:
Set goals for US Department of Defense failures and separate what are the business goals US Department of Defense is aiming to achieve.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our TOGAF agendas for the next 3 years?
– How will you measure your TOGAF effectiveness?
United States Department of Defense Critical Criteria:
Rank United States Department of Defense projects and report on developing an effective United States Department of Defense strategy.
– Will TOGAF have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
Virtual International Authority File Critical Criteria:
Analyze Virtual International Authority File management and handle a jump-start course to Virtual International Authority File.
– What are the key elements of your TOGAF performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that TOGAF objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– Why is TOGAF important for you now?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the TOGAF Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
TOGAF External links:
All the definitions outlined in Chapter 3 of TOGAF 9.1 http://pubs.opengroup.org/architecture/togaf9-doc/arch/ If you wish to visit my …
Is TOGAF Certification Worth It? – Insights & Advice for Tech
TOGAF 9.1 Definitions Flashcards | Quizlet
The Open Group Architecture Framework External links:
The Open Group Architecture Framework (TOGAF) – Core …
The Open Group Architecture Framework Tutorials | TOGAF
The Open Group Architecture Framework (TOGAF)
Applications architecture External links:
What is APPLICATIONS ARCHITECTURE? What does …
Architecture framework External links:
[PDF]C4ISR Architecture Framework Version 2 – AFCEA
Association of Enterprise Architects External links:
Starting an AEA Chapter – Association of Enterprise Architects
Association of Enterprise Architects – Acclaim
ASSOCIATION OF ENTERPRISE ARCHITECTS – …
Business architecture External links:
Capstera Business Architecture Software
Business Architecture Center of Excellence
Data architecture External links:
Certica Solutions: K-12 Cloud Platform and Data Architecture
Dow Jones Global Titans 50 External links:
Dow Jones Global Titans 50 Index (USD) – S&P Dow Jones …
Dow Jones Global Titans 50 Index – investopedia.com
Enterprise Architecture framework External links:
Enterprise Architecture Framework – EA Masterclass
Enterprise architecture External links:
Enterprise Architecture – EA – Gartner IT Glossary
Fortune 500 External links:
DOGHOUSE | Fortune 500 In The Year 2030
Fortune 500 – Georgia Department of Economic Development
Fortune 500 Companies 2017: Who Made the List
IEEE 1471 External links:
IEEE 1471 – SEBoK – Systems engineering
http://IEEE 1471 is a superseded IEEE Standard for describing the architecture of a “software-intensive system”, also known as software architecture. In 2011 it was superseded by ISO/IEC/IEEE 42010:2011, Systems and software engineering — Architecture description.
[PDF]Knowledge mechanisms in IEEE 1471 & ISO/IEC 42010
Information architecture External links:
Information Architecture | The Understanding Group
Information Architecture – AbeBooks
Information Architecture | Webtools
Library of Congress Control Number External links:
What is an LCCN (Library of Congress Control Number)?
Library of Congress Control Number – Balboa Press
Library of Congress Control Number – iUniverse
Performance engineering External links:
Home – Korkar Performance Engineering
New Products – Pacific Performance Engineering
Hi-Performance Engineering, Inc.
Service-oriented architecture External links:
Understanding Service-Oriented Architecture
Microservices vs. Service-Oriented Architecture – NGINX
Service-Oriented Architecture Summary | Accenture
Technical architecture External links:
Technical Architecture | B2BGateway
Technical Architecture | Insite Software
Technical Architecture | HIMSS
The Open Group External links:
TOGAF® Certification Program | The Open Group
FACE HOME | The Open Group
The Open Group Login
US Department of Defense External links:
US Department of Defense/DHA | Project ECHO
United States Department of Defense External links:
United States Department of Defense (defense.gov)
United States Department of Defense – Official Site
[PDF]United States Department of Defense (DoD) DoD …
Virtual International Authority File External links:
ERIC – A Virtual International Authority File., 2001-Aug