What is involved in VoIP
Find out what the related areas are that VoIP connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a VoIP thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its VoIP journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward VoIP leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which VoIP related domains to cover and 160 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
VoIP, Mass media, Comparison of audio network protocols, Information Sciences Institute, Asynchronous Transfer Mode, Transmission line, National Diet Library, Telephone Number Mapping, Maximum transmission unit, Molecular communication, Transmission medium, Virtual private network, IEEE 802.1p, Direct inbound dialing, Radia Perlman, World Wide Web, VoIP, Free-space optical communication, Flag semaphore, Off-premises extension, European Union, Bulletin board system, IP Multimedia Subsystem, Misdialed call, National Science Foundation, Proprietary protocol, Integrated Services Digital Network, Media Gateway Control Protocol, Communications Assistance For Law Enforcement Act, Capillary routing, Enhanced 911, Broadband Internet access, Computer network, Network switch, Network router, Jagadish Chandra Bose, Mobile telephony, Secure telephone, Quality of Service, Data link layer, Impedance matching, Inter-Asterisk eXchange, Frequency-division multiplexing, Vint Cerf, IP Phone, Computer-mediated communication, United States Forces Korea, Analog telephone adapter, Short Message Service, Session Description Protocol, VoIP vulnerabilities, E-mail address, Communications satellite:
VoIP Critical Criteria:
Recall VoIP management and explain and analyze the challenges of VoIP.
– In these early days of mobile voip, analysts find it difficult to quantify its potential impact. but many expect a shakeup. can carriers, either wireless or wireline, prevent its spread?
– If voip is classified as a telecommunications service, should access charges for it be different from those paid by non-ip-enabled telecommunications service providers?
– Operators already suffered pain when skype was launched. should they face the challenge head on or stick to restrictions on voip services?
– Does your company have contacts listed in the niif company specific contact directory for these specific functional responsibilities?
– What should the ntc do to facilitate interconnection between ip-based and circuitbased networks, and ensure technical compatibility?
– Client providers and virtual voip operators. the key question remains: what is the role of standards vs. proprietary solutions?
– Does your company list a contact for any catastrophic failures in the niif company specific contact directory?
– Does your company have emergency communications links with other interconnected companies?
– Should they face the challenge head on or stick to restrictions on voip services?
– Is the telephone service covered by the Customer Service guarantee (csg)?
– At this time, should the ntc issue rules and/or guidelines for voip?
– Does your company have in place an emergency preparedness plan?
– Does your company adhere to the niif guidelines for tsp?
– Does your company subscribe to mutual aid agreements?
– How do we manage VoIP Knowledge Management (KM)?
– Fixed mobile convergence (fmc) what is it?
– Do you have VoIP implemented?
– How can the value of VoIP be defined?
– Fmc what do users want?
– Who benefits from voip?
Mass media Critical Criteria:
Shape Mass media risks and ask questions.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which VoIP models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– Will any of the planned events or research findings provide a human interest story for mass media?
– How can you measure VoIP in a systematic way?
– Is a VoIP Team Work effort in place?
Comparison of audio network protocols Critical Criteria:
Examine Comparison of audio network protocols visions and look at it backwards.
– Can we add value to the current VoIP decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– What business benefits will VoIP goals deliver if achieved?
– Who needs to know about VoIP ?
Information Sciences Institute Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Information Sciences Institute quality and catalog what business benefits will Information Sciences Institute goals deliver if achieved.
– Does VoIP systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– Is the VoIP organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– Is Supporting VoIP documentation required?
Asynchronous Transfer Mode Critical Criteria:
Judge Asynchronous Transfer Mode projects and point out Asynchronous Transfer Mode tensions in leadership.
– How will you measure your VoIP effectiveness?
– What about VoIP Analysis of results?
Transmission line Critical Criteria:
Meet over Transmission line failures and reduce Transmission line costs.
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom VoIP project?
– Is VoIP Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
National Diet Library Critical Criteria:
Audit National Diet Library quality and adopt an insight outlook.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about VoIP. How do we gain traction?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in VoIP?
Telephone Number Mapping Critical Criteria:
Pilot Telephone Number Mapping issues and look at it backwards.
– What is the total cost related to deploying VoIP, including any consulting or professional services?
– Is there a VoIP Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– Why is VoIP important for you now?
Maximum transmission unit Critical Criteria:
Drive Maximum transmission unit planning and find out what it really means.
– Does VoIP create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– Do VoIP rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– Does our organization need more VoIP education?
Molecular communication Critical Criteria:
Think about Molecular communication management and change contexts.
– What is Effective VoIP?
Transmission medium Critical Criteria:
Grade Transmission medium tasks and catalog what business benefits will Transmission medium goals deliver if achieved.
– Do the VoIP decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– Think of your VoIP project. what are the main functions?
Virtual private network Critical Criteria:
Analyze Virtual private network engagements and reduce Virtual private network costs.
– How can you negotiate VoIP successfully with a stubborn boss, an irate client, or a deceitful coworker?
– What are the long-term VoIP goals?
– What are our VoIP Processes?
IEEE 802.1p Critical Criteria:
Have a round table over IEEE 802.1p visions and oversee IEEE 802.1p requirements.
– What are the key elements of your VoIP performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this VoIP process?
Direct inbound dialing Critical Criteria:
Brainstorm over Direct inbound dialing management and budget for Direct inbound dialing challenges.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of VoIP product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of VoIP into the services that we provide?
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether VoIP goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
Radia Perlman Critical Criteria:
Refer to Radia Perlman issues and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Radia Perlman results.
– What are current VoIP Paradigms?
World Wide Web Critical Criteria:
Do a round table on World Wide Web planning and define World Wide Web competency-based leadership.
– What are specific VoIP Rules to follow?
– How would one define VoIP leadership?
VoIP Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for VoIP adoptions and report on the economics of relationships managing VoIP and constraints.
– Taking into consideration market and technological developments, are there other categories that should be considered?
– How can operators avoid becoming simply pipes, and instead control their resources and create value?
– Among the VoIP product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– Does your company list your mutual aid contact in the niif company specific contact directory?
– Should access to broadband services by residential or business consumers be subsidized?
– How should voip service providers who use any or all parts of the pstn be charged?
– Does your company have plans for disaster preparedness & recovery?
– Who should be allowed to use, provide and/or benefit from voip?
– Does your company have the niif reference document?
– Voice communication encrypted?
– Text communication encrypted?
– Intelligent network over ip?
– How to Secure VoIP?
Free-space optical communication Critical Criteria:
Devise Free-space optical communication engagements and define what do we need to start doing with Free-space optical communication.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our VoIP agendas for the next 3 years?
– How can skill-level changes improve VoIP?
Flag semaphore Critical Criteria:
Distinguish Flag semaphore engagements and achieve a single Flag semaphore view and bringing data together.
– What is the purpose of VoIP in relation to the mission?
– Is VoIP Required?
Off-premises extension Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Off-premises extension risks and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Off-premises extension projects.
– Will new equipment/products be required to facilitate VoIP delivery for example is new software needed?
– How do we measure improved VoIP service perception, and satisfaction?
– What are the barriers to increased VoIP production?
European Union Critical Criteria:
Explore European Union failures and display thorough understanding of the European Union process.
– Are assumptions made in VoIP stated explicitly?
Bulletin board system Critical Criteria:
Drive Bulletin board system planning and work towards be a leading Bulletin board system expert.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a VoIP strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Are we Assessing VoIP and Risk?
IP Multimedia Subsystem Critical Criteria:
Pilot IP Multimedia Subsystem risks and innovate what needs to be done with IP Multimedia Subsystem.
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good VoIP project manager?
– How important is VoIP to the user organizations mission?
Misdialed call Critical Criteria:
Chat re Misdialed call visions and oversee Misdialed call management by competencies.
– Who will be responsible for documenting the VoIP requirements in detail?
– What potential environmental factors impact the VoIP effort?
– What are all of our VoIP domains and what do they do?
National Science Foundation Critical Criteria:
Group National Science Foundation projects and be persistent.
– How do we ensure that implementations of VoIP products are done in a way that ensures safety?
Proprietary protocol Critical Criteria:
Discourse Proprietary protocol outcomes and slay a dragon.
Integrated Services Digital Network Critical Criteria:
Incorporate Integrated Services Digital Network leadership and oversee Integrated Services Digital Network management by competencies.
– How do your measurements capture actionable VoIP information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to VoIP?
Media Gateway Control Protocol Critical Criteria:
Incorporate Media Gateway Control Protocol goals and overcome Media Gateway Control Protocol skills and management ineffectiveness.
– Will VoIP have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– How do we Improve VoIP service perception, and satisfaction?
Communications Assistance For Law Enforcement Act Critical Criteria:
Canvass Communications Assistance For Law Enforcement Act failures and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Communications Assistance For Law Enforcement Act decisions.
– Is there any existing VoIP governance structure?
Capillary routing Critical Criteria:
Unify Capillary routing planning and define what do we need to start doing with Capillary routing.
– Does VoIP analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– How do we go about Comparing VoIP approaches/solutions?
Enhanced 911 Critical Criteria:
Cut a stake in Enhanced 911 decisions and budget for Enhanced 911 challenges.
– How likely is the current VoIP plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
Broadband Internet access Critical Criteria:
Focus on Broadband Internet access governance and plan concise Broadband Internet access education.
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its VoIP processes?
– What is our VoIP Strategy?
Computer network Critical Criteria:
Merge Computer network projects and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Computer network projects.
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting VoIP with what users do day-to-day?
– Is the illegal entry into a private computer network a crime in your country?
– Is maximizing VoIP protection the same as minimizing VoIP loss?
– Do we have past VoIP Successes?
Network switch Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Network switch results and innovate what needs to be done with Network switch.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the VoIP process?
– How do we go about Securing VoIP?
Network router Critical Criteria:
Review Network router tactics and budget for Network router challenges.
– What are the record-keeping requirements of VoIP activities?
– How is the value delivered by VoIP being measured?
Jagadish Chandra Bose Critical Criteria:
Troubleshoot Jagadish Chandra Bose projects and maintain Jagadish Chandra Bose for success.
Mobile telephony Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Mobile telephony failures and define Mobile telephony competency-based leadership.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations VoIP values?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of VoIP that make it risky?
Secure telephone Critical Criteria:
Interpolate Secure telephone risks and handle a jump-start course to Secure telephone.
– Have all basic functions of VoIP been defined?
– Why should we adopt a VoIP framework?
Quality of Service Critical Criteria:
Study Quality of Service results and develop and take control of the Quality of Service initiative.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new VoIP in a volatile global economy?
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your VoIP processes?
– What level of service or quality of service should the customer expect?
– Is the Quality of Service met?
– Quality of Service Met?
– Is the Quality of Service met?
– Is our Quality of Service Met?
Data link layer Critical Criteria:
Have a round table over Data link layer adoptions and point out improvements in Data link layer.
– Have you identified your VoIP key performance indicators?
Impedance matching Critical Criteria:
Familiarize yourself with Impedance matching visions and innovate what needs to be done with Impedance matching.
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of VoIP moving forward?
Inter-Asterisk eXchange Critical Criteria:
Steer Inter-Asterisk eXchange strategies and remodel and develop an effective Inter-Asterisk eXchange strategy.
– Do those selected for the VoIP team have a good general understanding of what VoIP is all about?
– Can we do VoIP without complex (expensive) analysis?
Frequency-division multiplexing Critical Criteria:
Deduce Frequency-division multiplexing strategies and report on developing an effective Frequency-division multiplexing strategy.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once VoIP is underway?
Vint Cerf Critical Criteria:
Learn from Vint Cerf management and adopt an insight outlook.
– Meeting the challenge: are missed VoIP opportunities costing us money?
– What are the Essentials of Internal VoIP Management?
– Does VoIP appropriately measure and monitor risk?
IP Phone Critical Criteria:
Map IP Phone leadership and adjust implementation of IP Phone.
– Does VoIP include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
Computer-mediated communication Critical Criteria:
Unify Computer-mediated communication decisions and assess what counts with Computer-mediated communication that we are not counting.
– Does the VoIP task fit the clients priorities?
United States Forces Korea Critical Criteria:
Look at United States Forces Korea failures and catalog what business benefits will United States Forces Korea goals deliver if achieved.
Analog telephone adapter Critical Criteria:
Gauge Analog telephone adapter projects and develop and take control of the Analog telephone adapter initiative.
– How do we Identify specific VoIP investment and emerging trends?
Short Message Service Critical Criteria:
Design Short Message Service results and maintain Short Message Service for success.
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing VoIP?
– How do we keep improving VoIP?
Session Description Protocol Critical Criteria:
Discuss Session Description Protocol tasks and develop and take control of the Session Description Protocol initiative.
– To what extent does management recognize VoIP as a tool to increase the results?
– Are there VoIP Models?
VoIP vulnerabilities Critical Criteria:
Mix VoIP vulnerabilities issues and revise understanding of VoIP vulnerabilities architectures.
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with VoIP ?
– How do we know that any VoIP analysis is complete and comprehensive?
E-mail address Critical Criteria:
Canvass E-mail address management and slay a dragon.
Communications satellite Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about Communications satellite planning and learn.
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the VoIP Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
VoIP External links:
[PDF]What is? VoIP – AT&T Business
VoIP Phone Service | VOIP Phone Systems | Phone.com
Control Center : VoIP Portal
Mass media External links:
Mass media – ScienceDaily
Amhara Mass Media Agency አማራ ብዙሃን መገናኛ ድርጅት
Radio – Mass Media
Information Sciences Institute External links:
Information Sciences Institute | Research | USC
MINDS Research Group – USC Information Sciences Institute
Isi.edu is worth $23,998 USD – Information Sciences Institute
Asynchronous Transfer Mode External links:
What Is ATM?: Asynchronous Transfer Mode(ATM)
[PDF]Asynchronous Transfer Mode – WPI – Academics
A Overview of Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM)
Transmission line External links:
What is a Transmission Line? (with picture) – wiseGEEK
National Diet Library External links:
National Diet Library law. (Book, 1961) [WorldCat.org]
Online Gallery | National Diet Library
National Diet Library | library, Tokyo, Japan | Britannica.com
Telephone Number Mapping External links:
Telephone Number Mapping (enum) Concluded WG
Maximum transmission unit External links:
HOW TO: Change the Default Maximum Transmission Unit …
3. Maximum Transmission Unit MTU – YouTube
Molecular communication External links:
Molecular communication among biological …
DIRECT: A model for molecular communication …
Virtual private network External links:
VPN Virtual Private Network Services | Private Internet Access
Virtual Private Network (VPN) : TechWeb : Boston University
Virtual Private Network (VPN) – Northeastern ITS
IEEE 802.1p External links:
TRENDnet | TEG-240WS | IEEE 802.1p Default Priority
IEEE 802.1p | Article about IEEE 802.1p by The Free Dictionary
IEEE 802.1p/Q – downloads.avaya.com
Direct inbound dialing External links:
DID abbreviation stands for Direct Inbound Dialing
How to configure Direct Inbound Dialing with sipX – APE TEC
direct inbound dialing | DIDX BLOG
Radia Perlman External links:
Radia Perlman – Home | Facebook
The Many Sides of Radia Perlman | Intel Newsroom
Radia Perlman | Lemelson-MIT Program
World Wide Web External links:
The Official Chuck Mangione World Wide Web Site
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
VoIP External links:
VoIP Phone Service | VOIP Phone Systems | Phone.com
[PDF]What is? VoIP – AT&T Business
Control Center : VoIP Portal
Flag semaphore External links:
flag semaphore Archives — Mimi BerlinMimi Berlin
Flag semaphore – WOW.com
Flag semaphore – YouTube
Off-premises extension External links:
OPX abbreviation stands for Off-Premises Extension
European Union External links:
European Union (EU) Export Certificate List
Erasmus+ KA2 Project funded by the European Union
EUROPA – European Union website, the official EU website
Bulletin board system External links:
Bulletin Board System Network – Home | Facebook
Campbellton Bulletin Board System Public Group | Facebook
WPS EDI Bulletin Board System (BBS) Instructions
IP Multimedia Subsystem External links:
What is a IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS) | GENBAND
IP Multimedia Subsystem – IMS Test Suite – YouTube
IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS) Call Flows – EventHelix.com
National Science Foundation External links:
National Science Foundation Mathematical Sciences …
NSF Remote Access | NSF – National Science Foundation
Proprietary protocol External links:
Proprietary protocol legal definition of proprietary protocol
Integrated Services Digital Network External links:
Integrated Services Digital Network (ISDN)
[PDF]A42. INTEGRATED SERVICES DIGITAL NETWORK …
[PDF]10. Integrated Services Digital Network (ISDN) Services …
Media Gateway Control Protocol External links:
RFC 3435 – Media Gateway Control Protocol (MGCP) …
What is Media Gateway Control Protocol (MGCP)?
Display Filter Reference: Media Gateway Control Protocol
Capillary routing External links:
capillary routing Pictures, Images & Photos | Photobucket
Enhanced 911 External links:
What is Enhanced 911 and How Does it Work? – xfinity.com
[PDF]WIRELESS ENHANCED 911 – California State Auditor
What is E911 (Enhanced 911) ? – Definition from …
Broadband Internet access External links:
Town Hall On Broadband Internet Access, September 19, …
Broadband Internet Access Services – Pine Belt …
Computer network External links:
What is a Computer Network? – Definition from Techopedia
Remote services, computer network, PC Health Check – …
How to find my computer network name – Mil Incorporated
Network switch External links:
Network Switch | URC
Network router External links:
Changing the Default Password on a Network Router – Lifewire
Free Shipping. Buy 300Mbps Wireless-N Range Extender WiFi Repeater Signal Booster 802.11n/b/g Network Router at Walmart.com
SimpleWAN – All-In-One SD-WAN, Network Router & …
Jagadish Chandra Bose External links:
Jagadish Chandra Bose – Famous Birthdays
Jagadish Chandra Bose’s 158th Birthday – Google
Jagadish Chandra Bose – Biography, Facts and Pictures
Mobile telephony External links:
Mobilix – Decentralized mobile telephony
Prepaid Mobile Telephony Services (MTS) Surcharge Rates
Prepaid Mobile Telephony Services (MTS) Surcharge
Secure telephone External links:
Secure Telephone Banking – Family First Federal Credit Union
TCC – Secure Telephone, Fax, and Mobile Phone Encryption
Quality of Service External links:
What is Quality of Service (QoS)? – Definition from Techopedia
Quality of Service (QoS) | Vonage Business
Guaranteed High Quality of Service for Business …
Data link layer External links:
Layer 2 – Data Link Layer Overview – Cybrary
L2CCNA1 Ch7 – Data Link Layer Flashcards | Quizlet
What is the role of the data link layer? – Quora
Impedance matching External links:
Speaker Impedance Matching (Connecting Multiple …
Impedance Matching Pads – Mini-Circuits
Inter-Asterisk eXchange External links:
Inter-Asterisk eXchange (IAX) Parameters – iana.org
Inter-Asterisk eXchange protocol by on Prezi
Frequency-division multiplexing External links:
Frequency-division multiplexing | electronics | Britannica.com
Vint Cerf External links:
Vint Cerf Quotes – BrainyQuote
IP Phone External links:
[PDF]Cisco IP Phone 7960 and 7940 Series User Guide
[PDF]ShoreTel IP Phone 480/480g User Guide
MiVoice 6920 IP Phone – United States
United States Forces Korea External links:
United States Forces Korea > Newcomers > Training
[PDF]Headquarters United States Forces Korea Unit #15237 …
Analog telephone adapter External links:
Buy Grandstream GS-HT701 Handytone 701 ATA Analog Telephone Adapter: Networking Products – Amazon.com FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases
Short Message Service External links:
What is SMS – Short Message Service? Webopedia Definition
Short Message Service (SMS) Message Format
Session Description Protocol External links:
Session Description Protocol (SDP) Parameters
The Session Description Protocol (SDP)-VoIP Part 1
SIP Tutorial: Session Description Protocol – YouTube
VoIP vulnerabilities External links:
[PDF]VoIP Vulnerabilities – US DataVault
E-mail address External links:
How to Find an E-mail Address by Facebook ID | Chron.com
Your e-mail address
Has your E-mail Address Changed? – Southwest Airlines
Communications satellite External links:
The Angosat-1 communications satellite – Anatoly Zak